Johnny Cash was born February 26, 1932 which means he would have turned 80 this year. John Carter Cash, Johnny Cash's only child with June Carter Cash, has shared his father's personal life in his recent book, House of Cash, providing fans around the world the opportunity to really get to know the Man in Black.
Did you know?
- Johnny Cash was the youngest living inductee into the Country Music Hall of Fame when he was just 48.
- Cash starred in his own TV show on the ABC Network from 1969 - 1971.
- Johnny Cash was arrested in 1965 for picking flowers (trespassing in Mississippi).
- Cash completed 60 songs in the last four months of his life, many of which will be included in a CD found in the Limited Edition of "House of Cash."
- In 1993, actress Jane Seymour named one of her twin boys after Johnny Cash.
John Carter was kind enough to share a few intimate details about his father in honor of his birth day.
"My father loved peanuts. Each year for his birthday I go to his gravesite and leave peanuts scattered across his grave."
"Dad was mostly about celebrating other folk’s birthdays. But I do remember his fiftieth. There was a large party and seemingly everyone he knew was there."
A new Johnny Cash museum is scheduled to open this summer in Nashville. A separate groundbreaking event will take place in Dyess, Arkansas to preserve Cash's childhood home.
Follow John Carter Cash on Twitter for more updates.